Head of International Practice Group
U.S Attorney (IL Bar)
Sue is an US licensed attorney in charge of OhKim’s International Practice Group. She has represented clients in the manufacturing, technology, and financial sectors. Sue has advised clients seeking to invest in Korea as well as Korean companies seeking to expand abroad. Sue also provides complete RDD&D consultation to companies in the biomedical and pharmaceutical industries, including product development, clinical trials, marketing, and compliance. She is particularly well-versed in cross-border tax and investment issues for international commercial transactions and investment deals. She has successfully concluded multiple international deals related to strategic partnerships and research.
2019 OhKims Law & Company
2015 Humax Co., Ltd.
2010 CJ Group - CJ Holdings, CJ E&M, CJ CGV2008 Hwang Mok Park P.C.
2007 UIC John Marshall Law School (J.D.)
2001 Cornell University (M.P.A.)
1998 American University (B.A.)
1997 Ritsumeikan University (Certi)
2019 - 2021
- Provided legal advice to private healthcare, bio, medical device companies and startups in corporate finance and general corporate-related matters.
- Assisted healthcare, bio, medical device companies to establish joint venture companies, acquire/merge companies and strategic alliances in foreign countries.
- Negotiated various private investment-related agreements, including, shareholders agreements, subscription agreements, voting rights agreements, investors rights agreements, SAFE and etc.
- Provided legal advice on a wide range of intellectual property matters including patent, licensing, and joint development and commercial operations-related deals.
2015 - 2018
- Negotiated a wide range of business agreements—including contracts for procurement/supply/purchase agreements for various types of digital set-top-boxes (STB), over-the-top (OTT) and home gateway deals with major international cable and broadcasting telecommunication companies (e.g., AT&T, Vodafone); chipsets (CPU/Wi-Fi), security solutions, and all other software license agreements; collaboration agreements with major contents companies (e.g., Netflix, OSN/MBC (UAE)); ODM (Original Design Manufacturer) agreements with foreign manufacturers; and cross-border investment agreements with various partners.
- Handled a wide variety of complex transactional issues including mergers and acquisitions, equity, and investment in startups and venture capital.
2014 – 2015
- Provided legal advice for legal and business affairs activities on the development of the ICT (Information and Communication Technology) based mental health assessments and evaluations for individuals and companies.
- Handled legal and administrative tasks relating to developing healthcare kiosk for the corporate and governmental clients (e.g., Lotte Data Communication, Gangwon-do (Wonju), Chungnam (Goesan))
2010 – 2013
- Focused on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and other strategic business transaction and assisted with performing due diligence, drafting letters of intent, and other transactional documents.
- Negotiated a wide variety of commercial agreements—including contracts for sales/distribution agreements for foods/food ingredients; license agreements for medicine; film/television content licensing and film producing/financing/distribution agreements with major Hollywood studios (e.g., Disney, Paramount, W&B, Universal, Sony) and license agreement with premium cinema (IMAX); and all other cross-border strategic alliance, joint-venture, and collaboration agreements.
2008 – 2010
- Reviewed the agreements for project financing and syndicated loans for property development involving multinational companies and investment banks.
- Conducted legal due diligence for cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and investment transactions.
- Drafted and reviewed various commercial agreements and other legal documents about international business transactions.
- Provided legal advice to incoming foreign corporate clients on general corporate matters, including corporate governance and compliance, antitrust, product liability, and employment matters.
2007 Illinois Bar Admission (U.S.A.)
· International Bar Association
· American Bar Association
English (Native), Korean (Native) and Japanese (Fluent)