Taeseob “Jacob” Um
Jacob manages civil and criminal litigation cases for corporate, financing, and intellectual property cases. He has represented biomedical, pharmaceutical and health services clients for lawsuits relating to IP licensing and shareholder derivative actions. Jacob was lead defense counsel for several pharmaceutical companies in criminal cases pertaining to rebate programs. Jacob is one of the few attorneys in Korea who practices class action litigation. As such, he is well-positioned to advise a client on defending from a class action suit.
Jacob has extensive experience in advising clients on regulatory affairs and policy consulting, particularly on health care policy and regulation. Having worked as an advisor for various standing committees in the National Assembly, he has expertise in the government’s legislative and regulatory processes. Jacob advises numerous clients on new or revised government regulations in the healthcare, medical, and defense sectors.
2019 OhKims Law & Company
2016 Policy Advisor, National Assembly
2015 Dong-A ST Corporation (Compliance Officer)2014 Dong-A Socio Holdings Co. (Corporate Counsel)
2013 Jeonbuk National University School of Law (J.D.)
2008 National Institute for Lifelong Learning (B.A. in Business Administration)
2003 Korea Military Academy (Class of 61st)
- Numerous cases of insurance fraud and improper payments against hospitals
- Represented victims in claims against Optimus Fund.
- Represented small business owner in contract dispute with Coupang.
- Represented shareholders suing pharmaceutical company over false disclosures.
- Represented plaintiffs in litigation for damages from North Korean prisoners of war
- Advisory attorney to the President of the Korean Dental Association
- Part of joint response to victims of SkyEdu Freepass lecture fee refund.
- Represented plaintiff for damages arising from defective breast implant against Allergen.
- Fraud claim related to Ronaldo’s “no show.”
- Represented shareholders against KOLON Life Sciences and KOLON TissueGene for false disclosures
- Represented plaintiffs in class action lawsuit against Invossa of KOLON
- Petitioned Constitutional Court for trial regarding the non-counting of public health doctor’s four-week training service period.
- Part of joint response to small business owners who suffered due to internet outage at KT
- Achieved the cancellation of expired compensation claims
- Advisory Attorney for Seoul Mayor’s campaign team
- Member of the Mediation Committee
2013 Korean Bar Admission (2nd Korean Attorney Examination)
Korean (Native), English (Fluent)